What is an SMSF?
An SMSF is a personal or family superannuation fund that is managed by the members of the fund, who are also the trustees.
They can tailor their own investment strategies and select specific assets such as listed securities, managed investments, cash and term deposits, international equities, instalment warrants and so on.
Generally an SMSF has the following features:
- a personal or family super fund with no more than 4 members
- each member of the fund is a trustee
- no member of the fund is an employee of another member of the fund, unless those members are related
- no trustee of the fund receives remuneration for his or her services as a trustee
- the SMSF must have a written Trust Deed and Investment Strategy that meets all members’ objectives
Advantages and disadvantages of an SMSF
An SMSF has the following advantages:
- Greater investment choice – direct and indirect investing
- Greater control over investment strategies
- Access to investment gearing opportunities not available in retail super funds
- Cost effective over long term
- Offers preferable tax arrangements
- Allows you to look after your family
An SMSF has the following disadvantages:
- Responsibility for the fund’s investment decisions
- Time-consuming to manage
- Not eligible for s government compensation in case of fraud or theft.
How we can help
We can help with
- Set up your SMSF
- Our setup package includes a free 20 minutes consultation with a licensed financial planner.
- Coordinate annual audits
- Prepare annual ASIC reporting and return
- Ongoing tax, GST and PAYG compliance.
- Optimising the tax position of your SMSF.
How Wilson & Associates helps us with our profit turn-around and growth strategies – by Dr. Watson, CEO, Ethos Health,13/06/2018
Wilson & Assoc provides robust planning, rigorous performance management, commercial and strategic advice, and helps drive profit and accelerated growth.
What we are about
We are passionate about bringing big company financial capabilities to startups and small businesses without the big costs.
Our mission is to help you create the financial future you want for your business, yourself and your family.
Our business is to help you build wealth, increase cash and profits, and grow amazing business.