Tax implications on foreign investment properties |Wilson & Assoc Chartered Accountants

Tax implications of investing in overseas properties: FAQ

Investing in overseas properties can be an attractive option for Australian investors. It does come with specific tax implications and legal considerations. This article looks at the top frequently asked questions (FAQs) to help guide you through the process.

1. Do I need to declare my overseas property investment on my Australian tax return?

Yes. As an Australian tax resident, you are required to declare your worldwide income, which includes any rental income from overseas properties. This income must be reported on your Australian tax return.

2. How is rental income from an overseas property taxed in Australia?

Rental income from an overseas property is taxed at your marginal tax rate in Australia. You must convert the foreign income to Australian dollars using the applicable exchange rate at the time you receive the income. Expenses related to the rental property, such as maintenance and interest on a loan, can be deducted.

3. If I pay tax on my rental income in the host country, will I get double-taxed?

If you pay tax on your rental income in the country where the property is located, you may be eligible for a foreign income tax offset (FITO) in Australia if there is a double tax agreement (DTA) in place between Australia and that country. DTA’s prevent double taxation by offering a tax offset to Australian taxpayers. The tax offset is generally the lesser of the foreign tax paid or the Australian tax payable on the foreign income.

4. Are there any special considerations regarding capital gains tax (CGT) on overseas properties?

Yes. If you sell an overseas property, any capital gain must be reported on your Australian tax return. The gain is calculated in Australian dollars, using the exchange rate at the time of purchase and the time of sale. You may also be liable for CGT in the country where the property is located, but you can usually claim a foreign income tax offset for the foreign CGT paid.

5. How do I handle foreign exchange fluctuations in my tax reporting?

Foreign exchange fluctuations can impact the value of your income and expenses. For tax purposes, you need to convert all amounts to Australian dollars using the exchange rate at the time the income is received or the expense is paid. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides guidelines on acceptable methods for converting foreign currency.

6. What records do I need to keep for my overseas property investment?

You should keep detailed records of:

  • Purchase and sale documents
  • Rental income receipts
  • Expenses related to the property (e.g., maintenance, management fees, loan interest)
  • Foreign tax paid
  • Exchange rates used for conversions

These records are essential for accurately reporting your income and claiming deductions and offsets.

7. Can I claim deductions for expenses related to my overseas property?

Yes. You can claim deductions for the usual expenses associated with running a rental property, just as you would for an Australian property. These expenses may include:

  • – Interest on loans
  • – Property management fees
  • – Maintenance and repairs
  • – Depreciation of assets, etc.

8. What should I consider when financing an overseas property?

Financing an overseas property can be more complex than financing a local one. You may need to secure a loan from a foreign bank if Australian banks do not offer a mortgage on an overseas property. It’s essential to understand the terms, interest rates, and currency risks involved.

9. Are there any legal restrictions on Australians buying property overseas?

Under Australian laws, there are legal restrictions on property purchases by foreigners, not on residents.  Likewise, there may restrictions on foreign ownership in the host contry where you plan to invest in. You should research the specific regulations in the host country before proceeding with any purchase.  Consulting with local real estate experts is a good first step to understanding local laws.


Professional advice are recommended in the target investment country, to ensure you understand the implications under both property and tax laws, to ensure you comply with legal requirements whilst optimising your investment’s tax efficiency.

Disclcaimer: The information provided within this article is general information only.  None of the comments in these notes are intended to be advice, whether legal, financial product or professional. You should obtain specific advice regarding your particular circumstances from a tax or legal professional.

Copyright © Wilson & Assoc Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. 


About Wilson & Assoc

Wilson & Assoc Chartered Accountants provides taxation and business advisory services to individuals, investors and businesses wherever you are based. We provide specialist services to startups and health care providers.

If we can help in any way, we’d like to hear from you.